Monday, March 7, 2011

New* Toonz - Gurrumul

Hey, hey! Check me out with my weekly posting!
It won't last. *sigh*

Anyhoo, in a months time I will be volunteering at the West Coast Blues n Roots festival. In my excitement at seeing Bob Dylan, I decided to check out the other acts performing and I found this guy:


This is Gurrumul.

Gurrumul is an Indigenous Australian man, born on an island off the coast of Arnhem Land (one of the largest Aboriginal Reserves in Australia), barely speaks english, he plays drums, keyboard, guitar and didgeridoo.
Oh, and he was born blind.

Yeah, that was my face.

Apparently he won Best World Music Album and Best Independent Release at the 2008 ARIAs, and a portrait of him won the Archibald Prize in 2009. Dunno where the fuck I was...

Glad I've been enlightened now :)

* - Well, new to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment