Monday, February 28, 2011

Music From My Youth - Alice Donut

Hey all. I'm writing this post a few hours after watching Trent Reznor win an Oscar, but I figure a LOT of people will be posting about that and I was quite disappointed with the complete lack of Winter's Bone love so I thought I'd post about the very first punk band/song I ever heard. The band was Alice Donut and the song was Come Up With Your Hands Out.


I heard this song for the first time in form class. In Western Australia this is where you sit for 10 minutes at the beginning of the day and a teacher marks attendance. On that particular morning (I was 14, I can tell you that much), my best friend at the time took his earphones off, handed them to me and said "Listen to this."

Had he mentioned that the song was 6.5 minutes of screeching guitars while a guy tells the story of a mild-mannered murderess, this blog might have ended up being a tribute to East 17. Luckily, I listened and my mind was suitably blown. I like to think of that song as my first step. I still listen to it and Alice Donut.

No comments:

Post a Comment