Monday, March 21, 2011

Where Did You Even HEAR That?? - Twitter

I'm not a very patient person when it comes to troweling through all the shit music out there in search for the gold. That's why I have a number of locations and methods I follow when I feel it's time to hear something new. I shall let you in on my not-so-secret ways, starting with Twitter.

Yes, Twitter. If you want to follow me, I'm GoF_Radio.
I've been on Twitter for a couple of years now. It started as a way to announce new posts on my blog, but quickly became a hell of a lot more than that. It was through Twitter that I located the wonderful women I podcast with.

So in the middle of last year, utterly sick of everything on my iPod, I tweeted a request for new music. Some of the bands I received from that first tweet are still in rotation. There is 2 rules though. Let me lay it out for you:

  1. Have a like-minded base of followers.
    If the only people you follow are celebrities who aren't following you back, this won't work.
    Likewise if the people following you are randoms who only follow you because you follow them. Finding the right people to follow is an art I could dedicate an entire post to, but I'm not gonna.
  2. Don't be a dick.
    Take every response on board without ridicule or judgement. If someone suggests a band you don't like don't be a cunt about it or the next time you ask, you'll get no response.
Some of the bands I've discovered using this method are:
  • Creepshow
  • Tiger Army
  • The Horrors
  • Repo: The Genetic Opera
  • The Black Keys
And others I can't think of off the top of my head. 

It works. Give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment